Stone Store Tea Towel
One of New Zealand's most beloved buildings, the Stone Store, has been 'open for business' since 1836 and is visited by thousands every year.
Te Hokohoko Kōhatu translates as 'The Stone Shop', which is how it is referred to locally in te reo by tangata whenua.
100% quality white cotton.
The wrapping comes with this story printed on the back:
"It is very Substantial. The walls above a yard thick of solid stone...three Stories high...The Mason came from Sydney. Arched windows, Doors Iron shod...in fact Stronger than is required. It is the only Stone building in the country"
Edward Markham 1834
A typically English Georgian waterfront warehouse, except that it's on the far-flung shores of New Zealand, the Stone Store was built between 1832 and 1836 by Maori Labourers and an ex-convict stone mason, William Parrott. Replacing the wooden store erected when the Kerikeri Mission Station was established under the protection of Ngapuhi leader Hongi Hika in 1819, the Stone Store housed supplies and trade goods for all the mission stations in the Bay of Islands until 1848.
Purchased from the Church Missionary Society by retired missionary James Kemp the Store was leased to numerous storekeepers over its life, morphing from trading in Kauri gum, to general store, Four Square superette, and dairy, whilst also at different times housing a boy's school, Post Office, local Masonic Lodge, the Sea Scouts, and a museum.
Purchased from the Kemp family in 1976 by the Historic Places Trust (now Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga) the Stone Store continues to trade today and is cared for alongside Kemp House, and the grounds upon which they sit.
We Also Recommend